Author: Subject: [New] Threads are not displayed
AlexL
New Poster

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 07:58 AM
[New] Threads are not displayed

URL zum Board: http://internet-blogger.org/xmb
XMB Version: 1.9.11

Hello community,
I have a problem and although I have installed the last version of XMB and have created my innermost thread, but it is not displayed in the frontend.

How can it be? Can someone help me vll?

I simply tried it and wrote a sentence in the Forum posting. The one sentence was displayed, but when you're writing a longer text, this is not displayed.

MyForum-URL is http://internet-blogger.org/xmb
lottos
Administrator

Mood: pass me a TimTam

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 07:58 AM

Quote from php site

Quote:
Description:
------------
htmlspecialchars() and other such functions returns an empty string in PHP 5.4 and above when Latin1 characters are passed. Where in previous versions Latin1 characters were expected as the default. This makes upgrading to PHP 5.4 difficult because it breaks backward-compatibility. When in fact this function should continue to work normally. See below.

Expected result:
----------------
You should not need to specify what your character set is for this function as long as ASCII is a subset of the character set. (Examples: UTF-8, cp1252, etc) as the search and replace behavior is the same for all such character sets. You should only need to specify your specific character set if ASCII isn't a subset character set so that the search and replace behavior can be adjusted. That would be an improvement and would make legacy use of htmlspecialchars() that expects it to work on latin1 characters backward compatible. As it is now, most people are writing their own functions for backward compatibility rather than passing as a parameter that they're still using the Latin1 charset. This is annoying because there's no reason that this function needs to stop working in the first place.

Actual result:
--------------
this function returns an empty string when latin1 characters are passed. People upgrading to PHP 5.4 wind up with broken code, and are forced to debug.

Explication:
-------------
But Latin1 is not a subset of UTF-8. You are getting an empty string returned because the string contains a Latin1 character which is invalid in UTF-8. Most web sites these days work in UTF-8 which means if you are blindly filtering using Latin1 in htmlspecialchars() and outputting UTF-8 as most sites do these days, you have a potential security hole. That was the reason for this change.

Unfortunately our system works with Latin1 but the php no longer works with this type of charset.

The quick fix is to make the function htmlspecialchars() encrypt in UTF-8, but as you read above is not very safe.

Mouser
XMB Contributor

Mood: Christmasy. Yes, in September.

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 05:19 PM

Hmm.. I just read some documents on this.

Alex, did you modify any XMB PHP files ?

I would like to give this a try, and see if we can solve it.

Go To Top