Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Resolved] Bridges?
RunnyBabbit

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 03:38 PM
[Resolved] Bridges?

Full Board URL: http://forums.flameontheotherside.com/
XMB Version: 1.9.11

I realize this might be a waste of time to ask but...

If I remember correctly, way way back there used to be a bridge available to integrate with the forums. Anyone know what I'm talking about? xD

- Monique
lottos
Administrator

Mood: pass me a TimTam

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 09:52 PM

Not sure... haven't heard of it? Not all these mods have been tested with the latest xmb release.

https://www.xmbforum2.com/modifications/

RunnyBabbit

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lottos  
Not sure... haven't heard of it? Not all these mods have been tested with the latest xmb release.

https://www.xmbforum2.com/modifications/

It's like having a portal or CMS Content Management System like Drupal or Joomla. Joomla had a phpbb forum bridge and so on. I could swear that there was at one point a CMS that had a bridge for XMB.

- Monique
lottos
Administrator

Mood: pass me a TimTam

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RunnyBabbit  

It's like having a portal or CMS Content Management System like Drupal or Joomla. Joomla had a phpbb forum bridge and so on. I could swear that there was at one point a CMS that had a bridge for XMB.

maybe postnuke...

Jenny Lee

Mood: Meh. :P

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 05:27 PM

If I remember correctly, way way back there used to be a bridge available to integrate with the forums. Anyone know what I'm talking about? xD

Depends on your definition for "bridge" and the second cms you intend to use along with XMB which you forgot to mention...:sniffle:

It's fairly easy to make a single registration or login page for two different content management systems. The hard part is to make sure they don't conflict and work in sync with each other. There are thousands of variables to take into account. For example, imagine the case when WordPress don't allow white-spaces in the nicknames while XMB does or a simple case of deleting user in word-press and having no code to remove it on the XMB simultaneously..."Bridges" like that would collapse sooner than you would expect. Even basic things such as password hashing and MySQL table encoding might turn out to be incompatible. One system may use md5 other sha512 third bcrypt and etc. Will you be willing to globally reset everyone's password when moving? I doubt that.
So at some point you will have to edit the core of one or another system and maintain it by yourself which will cut you off the software updates from the provider and potentially expose you to the security holes.

What's wrong with using kunena forum component? It's a perfect solution for Joomla users.:drool:
miqrogroove
XMB 1.9.12 Lead Developer

Mood: Past Three O'Clock

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 04:48 PM

The XMB 1.9.12 session system is abstracted sufficiently so that expert coders will be able to use foreign credentials to log in to XMB by writing a new session object.

There won't be any 'official' bridges to start with so this is strictly a means to customize things for now.

Go To Top