XMB Forum Software
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: It's been a good ride with xmb to say the least.
MoonlightCapital
New Poster

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 12:40 PM

You summoned me?

Anyways, i'm open to help but i don't know if i can do it. First off, i need to learn a bit how the system works here in order to be able to contribute. I'm not a huge fan of XMB but if it gets modern i may resign my thoughts.
Scarlet

Mood: Excited for XMB's resurrection!

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 12:54 PM

By 'system' he means how the codebase is structured and such. :)

We're aiming to make XMB Forum more modern as time goes on, that's the point of the revival. Nice to see you here, by the way. x')

If I want to make myself useful I'll share this forum with some people hopefully and maybe get more people on the team.
DBieniek

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Scarlet  
Cool! Hope you stick around, we're all a nice bunch who have remained loyal to xmb and now that something is happening I hope you can be a useful member of the team.

Seems like a great community, and really looking forward to working with you all
lottos
Administrator

Mood: pass me a TimTam

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mark  

On the off chance that some random fella owns it, I've registered xmbforums, which isn't as ideal but close enough.

xmbforums.org or some other domain extension?

Mark
XMB 2.0 Developer

Mood: Busy

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 06:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lottos  
Quote: Originally posted by Mark  

On the off chance that some random fella owns it, I've registered xmbforums, which isn't as ideal but close enough.

xmbforums.org or some other domain extension?

I meant the github organisation:thumbup:

Mark

XMB 2.0 Development Team
Former XMB Lead Developer (1.9.8)
IbizaFlame
New Poster

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 02:20 PM

Greetings all,

I felt the need to post this as I see there is some renewed interest in XMB and some questions about the iEntry aspect of XMB. I feel that I dealt with them more than most people here, save for perhaps John - and might be able to offer some context.

I should start by approaching John with a public apology. I along with a few others ran hot against him regarding some business decisions with XMB (I can't for the life of me remember what) and we basically petitioned iEntry to oust him. Much of my memory during my time with XMB is blurry - but there are some things that still stand out. Mainly that it is my impression and belief that Richard and Aventure were part of a campaign that just basically destroyed the XMB title altogether.

As I remember it, Richard had some affirmation that XMB was a product that was explicitly owned by Aventure Media and co. Because of this he would occasionally harp at people who forked it (I seem to recall he and Jim at XMBG didn't get along, and that may be what influenced me to be so short with John too - because Richard was). For the last six months maybe of Aventure's "ownership" of XMB, another admin and I were both "employed" by Aventure and ran customer service for them. It was discussed that Aventure was somehow selling XMB to iEntry for a sum of something along the lines of $20,000 USD (I feel there may be an extra 0 in that figure, but that seems to be where my mind is going).

At any rate, iEntry had brought in John, myself, and others to work on the project. Eventually it wound up being me, and two other admins - and if I remember right we put out either 1.9.10, or an RC of 1.9.11 (again, fuzzy memory). Within those two branches we had ideas for built-in-modded designs which would serve as the half step between 1.9 and 2.0. Once time got to be an issue and we all broke away, whatever happened with iEntry here happened.

What happened after that was a few months or a year maybe later, I approached iEntry again offering services for XMB. I had been informed that the original project manager was no longer employed with the company. Mike promised me two dedicated developers, and iEntry support to move forward in an XMB 2.0 project. I again pushed the idea that we'd have a modded mid-release while waiting for 2.0 as a way of keeping interest (that would include the fixes in the last 1.9.11 branch with the modifications I had put up for the original branch). Well, a month went by...no devs. Then two months...no devs. Three months...four...keeping in mind I had help wanted posts on the forum too during this time. Finally, I just left. No announcement or anything - with no support and no devs there was nothing I could do. Two months after that, iEntry had pulled the plug on XMB altogether it seems.

At any rate, I invested my time in XMB - and I'm personally done with it. I don't know really if what development I did do was worth a damn (I know Maciek was always shooting down all of my ideas before he departed) - I haven't touched a line of code now probably in six or so years. It would be kind of cool to see things moving forward - but I can also see how anyone making an attempt will be fighting an uphill battle. Other softwares, and the shift to social media have made things much more complex than in the days where XMB was fit.

It will be interesting to see where all of this ends up.

Either way, good luck all - some of us "veterans" are watching you!

Michael
kuba1
XMB Project Manager

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 10:55 PM

Wow ... so many blast from the past names in your post. Jim XMBG John ... Briggs? iEntry got extremely weird with us and Xmbforum2 was born. I got here during 1.9.9 development. I was getting emailed, today, that people were working on things so I popped in to see. What was your original handle, here? Aventure was gone or going when I arrived, but iEntry I had dealings with ....

Hit this link often (Part of the XMB forum marketing campaign):

http://www.forummatrix.org/show/XMB

Testing the Signature Changing Code
kuba1
XMB Project Manager

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-22-2017 at 02:41 AM

You must be Train from the old days .... you left after 1.9.9 and returned to the old site after iEntry torched us. Interesting ....

Hit this link often (Part of the XMB forum marketing campaign):

http://www.forummatrix.org/show/XMB

Testing the Signature Changing Code
bluebaka92
New Poster

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 1-6-2018 at 12:51 AM

I'm revisiting XMB after I checked the forum today for the first time since September. Happy to see the project revived. I may experiment with some theming in the near future.
Toshi
New Poster

[*] posted on 6-21-2019 at 06:15 AM

...so is there anyone who might start working on XMB. I was a part of the community back before Aventure bought XMB (around 2005-2008). Also a couple guys that I knew span off from XMB making another forum script.

Like it's said, XMB is (was) one of the best forum script where you can change as you wish. I have never seen such an easy-manoeuvrable script to the day. Would love to see how it goes.

Having said that, only previous post was one year old - so probably nothing is going to happen, leaving me with very much nostalgia for good and old days.
miqrogroove
XMB 1.9.12 Lead Developer

Mood: Past Three O'Clock

[*] posted on 9-19-2020 at 02:38 PM

Just dropping a promo here for 1.9.12 Beta. We are shaking out most of the bugs now and should have a 2nd beta ready before October. Testers and translators needed and appreciated.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top