Author: Subject: [New] Disable Signatures and Bio
Aerosmith
Experienced

Mood: Semi-something

question.gif posted on 3-21-2015 at 10:58 AM
[New] Disable Signatures and Bio

Full Board URL: http://www.freecruisecards.com/forums/
XMB Version: 1.9.11

How can I disable the ability for users to enter a Signature and Bio data? It seems a lot of the spammers love to register multiple accounts from spoofed IPs and use the Bio and Signature fields to enter spam ads for their crap.

I would love to be able to set up my forums so that all posts by new users are moderated (held for approval) AND have he it set to not allow a Bio or Signature entries for all Moderated users. This way I can unmoderate users that I have determined are not spammers and in dong so grant them not only the ability to post unmoderated, but also to add a Bio and Signature.

How is that for a coding challenge?
lottos
Administrator

Mood: pass me a TimTam

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 12:14 AM

There doesn't appear to be any forum at the site you lined, so you can't be getting any spammers.

Anyhow... what you want actually covers two different scripts, one is for posts and one is for the member profile.

Rather easy to stop spammers in member profile script memcp.php by not allowing changes to the sig and bio if their post count is less than some amount you set (like 1, which means if they have one post, you must have already approved them/unmoderated them and want them to be able to have full access).

Just before the line:

$db->query("UPDATE ".X_PREFIX."members SET $pwtxt email='$email', site='$site', aim='$aim', location='$location', bio='$bio', sig='$sig', showemail='$showemail', timeoffset='$timeoffset1', icq='$icq', avatar='$avatar', yahoo='$yahoo', theme='$thememem', bday='$bday', langfile='$langfilenew', tpp='$tppnew', ppp='$pppnew', newsletter='$newsletter', timeformat='$timeformatnew', msn='$msn', dateformat='$dateformatnew', mood='$mood', invisible='$invisible', saveogu2u='$saveogu2u', emailonu2u='$emailonu2u', useoldu2u='$useoldu2u', u2ualert=$u2ualert WHERE username='$xmbuser'");

insert:

if ($member['postnum'] < '1') {
$member['sig'] = '';
$member['bio'] = '';
}

Untested and no guarantees!

Aerosmith
Experienced

Mood: Semi-something

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 06:14 AM

Odd, I just clicked the link and it takes me directly to the forums! I did have them set to off lien in the admin panel earlier when I was doing some work.

I follow the logic in your code snippet above and I applaud the simplicity!

I do have the settings so that new users are emailed a PW when they sign up so that at least they have to use a real email address for that. I had (in a prior XMB setup) modded the table so that the users sign up email address is always retained in a new field so I can keep that info.

Is there an existing option (or hack) that makes all news users moderated until an admin/super admin unmoderates them? I may have just missed it if it does exits.

Thanks!

Go To Top