Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: [Resolved] PHP7 and MYSQLI Compatibility
Xian

Mood: w00h00!

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 12:32 PM
[Resolved] PHP7 and MYSQLI Compatibility

Full Board URL: http://xmbforum2.com
XMB Version: 1.9.11

I have ported the mysql.php and a couple of other related files so it will run on PHP7 if anyone is interested in the files.

Please let me know.

I haven't been at XMB in forever when I used to do support long ago. But I've still continued to use XMB.

christian.deguzman [at] gmail.com

I am not sure what the rules are still. I am not sure if we are allowed to re-package XMB and send but I can send the individual modified files if needed.

Thanks guys! It's good to be back!
lottos
Administrator

Mood: pass me a TimTam

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 12:34 PM

Suggestion: zip it up and post it on here for others to try?

Xian

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 04:40 PM

Updated: http://forums.xmbforum2.com/viewthread.php?tid=776996

Here is the zipped package of the ported XMB Forum.

I just upped the version number to: 1.9.12.beta (I didn't know what else to call it).

There are still some kinks to workout. Maybe someone else can figure out why nothing shows up in Today's Posts and maybe rework the Captcha code to work again. I will attempt also to see what's up with those two things.

If you find more bugs please post them here so we can all work them out... hopefully together.

------------------------------------------------------------

New install:

Just follow the normal XMB installation instructions. If you have a modified board follow the instructions below:

Instructions on how to make your existing XMB Forum software to be compatible with PHP7 and MYSQLI.

Discalimer:

THIS SOFTWARE MODIFICATION IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***

***PLEASE TEST OUT THE MODIFICATIONS FIRST TO MAKE SURE IT WORKS ON THE SERVER YOU ARE INSTALLING IT ON.***

***MAKE BACKUPS OF YOUR EXISTING FILES AND DATABASE SO YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO THE PRE MODIFIED VERSION OF YOUR XMB INSTALLATION***

Tested on a Windows DEV Server running:

Apache 2.4.27
MariaDB 10.1.26
PHP 7.1.8

Tested on a Linux Production Server running:

Apache: 2.4.25
MySQL: 5.5.57-cll
PHP: 5.6.30

1. READ EVERYTHING ABOVE THIS FIRST!

2. Backup your existing XMB installation first. -> Download your entire "XMB" folder.

3. Backup your existing MySQL database.

4. BACKUP EVERYTHING!!

5. Upload ./db/mysqli.php to your .ROOT./db/ folder

6. Upload ./include/schema.inc.php to your .ROOT./include/ folder

7. Did you backup your files? You will need the old copy of your config.php files next.

8. Upload the config.php file to your .ROOT./ folder.

9. Copy the information from your old config.php file to the new config.php file.

10. Change $database = 'mysql'; to $database = 'mysqli';

11. Save the new config file.

12. Open misc.php file. (If you have an unmodified misc.php file just upload the one from the files folder.)

13. Replace all instances of like_escape with escape.

14. Open search.php file. (If you have an unmodified search.php file just upload the one from the files folder.)

15. Replace all instances of like_escape with escape.

16. Did I already mention to backup your files and database? Well did you do it?

20. If you did a full and complete backup good for you! Enjoy!

****~~~KNOWN BUGS~~~****

Today's Posts -> No posts display. (Fixed 09/12/2017 repatched mysqli.php and recoded result() function.)

Captcha Image not working. -> Must disable in Settings until this can be re-coded.

EDIT: Captcha still works with this version.

Updated the package file to ammend the Read Me. If you've already downloaded this file there is no need to do so again. Just updated the read me file to match this post.

John Briggs
XMB Contributor

Mood: Great :)

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 07:02 PM

Did XMB-1.9.11.14 not work? Just curious if you were aware of those changes prior to this Xian? I have not been able to test on PHP7.

Retired XMB Contributor
lottos
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Briggs  
Did XMB-1.9.11.14 not work? Just curious if you were aware of those changes prior to this Xian? I have not been able to test on PHP7.

Worked for me in my limited testing, however as noted in the readme on sourceforge, it was a temporary fix.

John Briggs
XMB Contributor

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 01:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lottos  

Worked for me in my limited testing, however as noted in the readme on sourceforge, it was a temporary fix.

I never saw a readme so sorry. I just saw the package was updated and looked at the new files recently as I didn't even see what had changed. It's being installed by Softaculous. Not sure what there vetting process is or what relationship they have with you guys here. I was installing some old themes of mine on my internal 1.9.8 hybrid build from years ago and wanted to test on 1.9.11 version too and installed via cpanel as I was surprised to see it there and it had 1.9.11.14 as an update to it.

Retired XMB Contributor
Xian

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 02:53 AM

What's up JBriggs? Long time no talk. Glad to see you're still around.

I didn't even know about 1.9.11.14 I just downloaded the package that was on the main page and started patching the mysql file to mysqli. I should check that out.

Where do I get the .14 build?
John Briggs
XMB Contributor

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 04:45 AM

Hi Christian, I still keep an eye on the community. I check in from time to time. Good to see you around again. I know the community can use good people like you to help out. Lottos holds down the community by himself for the most part. I am sure any help is appreciated.

You can find what you need here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xmb-forum2/files/?source=na...

There was no ReadMe until recently so I had no idea what changed in the files until I looked harder a few days ago. I emailed Lottos and sent an U2U but not sure he got it. The link on the forum has been to the old 1.9.11.13 build for ages so no one knew about 14.

Hope that helps.

Retired XMB Contributor
Xian

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info John.

Hopefully together we can all keep XMB alive and live on. I was just reading the stuff about iEntry. What a bummer.

Let's try to keep making XMB better.
lottos
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-14-2017 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Xian  

I didn't even know about 1.9.11.14 I just downloaded the package that was on the main page and started patching the mysql file to mysqli. I should check that out.

damn, you probably used .14 as the base for your beta. probably better if the changes you made were done to .13 as .14 may be hiding other porting issues.

Xian

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 03:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lottos  

damn, you probably used .14 as the base for your beta. probably better if the changes you made were done to .13 as .14 may be hiding other porting issues.

crapola! well the header.php file just said 1.9.11 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the patch numbers were added in the header.php file. But so far looks like it's working. I guess we will just have to patch up bugs when we find them.
John Briggs
XMB Contributor

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 06:58 AM

I have not seen an issue so far with 14. I will report if I see anything.

Retired XMB Contributor
lottos
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 11:44 AM

I have not seen an issue so far with 14. I will report if I see anything.

Thanks, problem is that .14 was only ever intended to be a workaround, it hasn't been ported to work correctly with php7.x

I suspect that if the changes made in the new beta were backported to .13 a whole world of pain would open.

Scarlet

Mood: Excited for XMB's resurrection!

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 11:48 AM

You'll be able to tell the difference from .13 and .14 as the footer credits were updated from 2012 to 2017. Anyway, I'm pretty interested in seeing a PHP 7 compatible XMB Forum, and it seems it has brought new activity - I'm really happy that you have taken the time to work on this! :)

Will existing hacks work, just to ask?
Xian

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Scarlet  
You'll be able to tell the difference from .13 and .14 as the footer credits were updated from 2012 to 2017. Anyway, I'm pretty interested in seeing a PHP 7 compatible XMB Forum, and it seems it has brought new activity - I'm really happy that you have taken the time to work on this! :)

Will existing hacks work, just to ask?

The beta package that is now downloadable can be a fresh install and there are also instructions to modify the files needed if your board is modified. There are no major files affected by this port over. Just read the MySQLi Port Readme that is in the package.
Xian

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 04:18 PM

Well, apparently captcha still works. It may have been a server misconfiguration on my DEV Server that caused Captcha to not work when I tested it. Captcha works on my production test server.

lottos, could you please download this file and replace it with the one in the sourceforge downloads?

thanks.
Scarlet

Mood: Excited for XMB's resurrection!

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 08:20 PM

Definitely would be appreciated to see 1.9.12 officially released on the SourceForge page. I'm drinking a coffee (latte) waiting for this :D
lottos
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 11:28 PM

lottos, could you please download this file and replace it with the one in the sourceforge downloads?

thanks.

It appears the beta is still based on .14
It's pointless making changes to .14 as it already has a quick and dirty mod to make it work with php7.x [a class script to mainly replace the connect, grab data etc. functions that worked in older mysql connections and use the equivalant mysqli] and would likely work without any in depth code changes [which are the correct way to port and which should be done to .13].

Xian

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 02:56 AM

I've downloaded 1.9.13 and will begin to test it out.
Xian

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 04:52 AM

Just posted the new beta files based on 1.9.11.13 patch codebase.

http://forums.xmbforum2.com/viewthread.php?tid=776996

Much easier this time. Also updated all the files with proper version numbers and updated the documentation folder files.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top